Thursday 23 July 2015

Bach On The Lute - North



Rating: 5/5

Review:
A fantastic reissue

This is a simply fantastic re-issue of four discs which I went to considerable trouble and expense to get hold of as they came out, and which were very well worth both the trouble and the expense. Nigel North is a brilliant lutenist, and these are his own transcriptions of Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin and the Cello Suites. The transcriptions are excellent and, as Bach was an inveterate recycler and transcriber himself, very much in the composer's own idiom. Technically, they are brilliant and manage to preserve the character and beauty of the fabulous originals while making these transcriptions wonderful lute music.

I don't really know how to convey how good this set is, save to say that I have had the original discs for many years and still play them very regularly and with enormous pleasure. I love the originals on the violin and cello, too, and I think these discs are a delightful addition to the repertoire rather than being in any way a diminution or poor imitation. As I write, the price for the four-disc set is just under £16 - an absolute bargain for a real treasure of a set. It is a complete treat from start to finish, and I recommend this set very highly indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment