Saturday 27 October 2018

Bach - Six Suites for Viola Solo - Kashkashian


Rating: 5/5

Review:
An excellent recording

I really like this set. Kim Kashkashian is a terrific musician and she really makes these wonderful works shine.

I think Kashkashian manages to allow Bach to shine through here while giving her own distinctive, loving interpretations. It can be a difficult balance to strike and for me she gets it just right so that the lighter dances really dance, and movements like the amazing Sarabande from Suite No. 5 carry all the emotional and spiritual weight which Bach gives them. They are lovely interpretations.

My sole reservation is that on the viola those magnificent resonances of the cello which Bach uses to such effect are much diminished and I do think the music loses something as a result. However, the musicianship, interpretation and sound quality here are all absolutely first-class and it’s still a five-star recording for me which I can recommend very warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment