Saturday 23 January 2016

Old Gautier's Nightinghall - Anthony Bailes


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A beauty



This is a lovely disc of 17th-Century lute music from France and England.  I'm a fan of the lute, but apart from Pierre Gaultier none of these composers were familiar to me so I approached this with a degree of scepticism: obscure composers are sometimes obscure for a very good reason.  In fact this turns out to be a disc of very fine music, beautifully played.

This is Baroque music and builds on the foundations laid by Kapsberger and others.  There is a wide variety here from the intense to the genial – and all of it is very enjoyable indeed.  Anthony Bailes plays a twelve-course lute with great skill and sensitivity to the music. He produces a lovely, resonant tone which is beautifully recoded here, so I find the whole disc a pleasure to listen to.  Bailes's notes are very full and extremely interesting (I genuinely learned a lot from them) and the packaging is attractive.  If you're a lute devotee like me or just have an interest in music of this period, I can warmly recommend this disc; it's a beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment