Monday 22 February 2016

Mattheson - Suites - Holtz


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A very good recording



This is a very good disc of Baroque harpsichord music. 

Mattheson is a new composer to me, but I'm glad I investigated his work.  It is very good, enjoyable stuff; he's no Couperin, Bach or Handel but the music is engaging, tuneful and inventive which I like a lot.

Cristiano Holtz plays very well.  He has excellent technique so that the music sounds natural even in its most demanding passages and his phrasing is exactly right to keep the music flowing while giving it real meaning.  The sound of his harpsichord is lovely, and beautifully recorded so that the whole disc is a pleasure.

I won’t be returning to Matteson's music as often as I do to the keyboard works of some of the truly great Baroque composers, but I think it is very good and I'm extremely glad to have this in my collection.  Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment