Saturday 12 March 2016

Nelson Freire plays Bach


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Not a great Bach disc



It pains me to say this of such a great pianist, but I'm afraid I don't think that Nelson Freire's Bach is all that good.  It has its moments and Freire's technique is, of course, superb, but I don't think his first foray into this repertoire is successful overall.

Nelson Freire is rightly hugely respected for his interpretations of 19th- and 20th-Century repertoire, but Bach is a different thing altogether and I don't think he's really made the transition.  He doesn't overdo the Romantic Gestures (thank heavens!) but some real essentials of Bach performance often seem to me to be missing.  Fluency and distinctness of individual contrapuntal lines too often becomes lost, especially in fugal passages, as does the essential pulse which beats through Bach's music at different rates but always as an integral part of the music.  Its blurring loses something fundamental to these pieces, and I find the whole thing rather undistinguished.

There are some quite magnificent performances of Bach on the piano by people like Angela Hewitt,  Murray Perahia and recently (and rather to my surprise) Rudolf Buchbinder.  I would recommend any of these before this disc; I'd recommend sticking to Freire's superb interpretations of later repertoire and give this one a miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment