Monday 15 April 2019

de la Rue - Requiem - Clemencic Consort


Rating: 1/5

Review:
Very disappointing

I’m afraid I don’t like this recording at all. Pierre de la Rue’s music is quite wonderful, I think, but it doesn’t get much of a chance here. Firstly, the instrumental parts are harsh and over-dominant, which already puts de la Rue’s fabulous polyphony at a disadvantage. Worse, the voices have no blend or coherence at all in a lot of the music. It is typified by the opening “Requiem” sung by a very low, rather strained and wholly unresonant bass, while other voices and instruments then pile in sounding as though none is listening to anyone else. It sounds, frankly, horrible to my ears and has absolutely none of the spiritual depth or spare beauty one would expect from de la Rue’s setting of the Requiem.

I’m sorry to be so critical, but I really can’t get on with this at all. There are very fine recordings available of de la Rue’s Requiem by Capella Pratensis, Ensemble Officium and (if you can still find it) The Clerk’s Group. My advice is to try one of them and give this a wide berth.

No comments:

Post a Comment