Thursday 18 July 2019

Schütz - Cantiones sacrae - Magnificat/Cave


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Excellent performance, slightly odd music

This is yet another very fine recording by Magnificat. It’s a bit of a departure from their usual Renaissance repertoire but they perform Schütz with all the skill, insight and beauty of sound of their previous discs.

I have struggled with Schütz in the past. In the notes for this disc, Gregory S. Johnson says, “The works, perfectly crafted, are composed in a learned, contrapuntal style rich in dissonance and range of expression,” and speaks of “Gesualdo-esque harmonic twists.” This pretty much sums up why I find Schütz quite a tough listen. However, these Cantiones sacrae are rather less wild and harmonically strange than some of his other work and, for me anyway, musically more approachable.

The performances are excellent. Philip Cave has assembled a fine group of singers and instrumentalists and they all plainly really get this music. The choral sound is beautiful, they engage fully with the text and there is a perfect balance between the singers and continuo players who add a lovely, subtle texture to the music. The recorded sound is outstanding – but it’s Linn, so of course it is. I still can’t say that this is my favourite repertoire, which is why I have given this disc four stars rather than five, but it’s certainly a five-star performance.

(And I'm sorry to say that when I came across Turbabor, sed non perturbabor, I wondered whether this was how Iacomus Vinculum might order his Martini…

I’ll get me coat.)

No comments:

Post a Comment