Thursday 19 September 2019

Ribera - Magnificats & Motets - De Profundis/Skinner


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Very good polyphony

I hadn’t heard of Ribera but if David Skinner thinks he is worth recording I reckoned he was worth hearing. I was right.

Ribera, one of Victoria’s teachers, wrote densely textured and very skilful music which is a pleasure to listen to and sometimes very beautiful indeed. Skinner, of course, produces a fine, scholarly account of these Magnificats and motets, which he directs with empathy and a fine attention to detail.

I do have a slight reservation, which is that the choir here is large (up to 24 voices) and for me the detail can sometimes become lost. For this sort of polyphony I prefer a smaller, more intimately sized choir which to me can reveal the spirituality and beauty rather better.

That said, this is still a fine performance of very good music, excellently recorded by Hyperion. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment