Thursday 7 May 2020

Zamboni - Lute Music - Genov


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Very pleasing lute music

Zamboni is a new composer to me so this was a bit of a punt, but I’m glad I tried it because it’s a very pleasing collection.

Zamboni was active in the late 17th- and early 18th-centuries, making him a generation or so before Bach and Weiss. His lute music, to my ears anyway, isn’t as inventive as either of them, but it’s certainly good stuff, full of melody and a wide variety of well-evoked moods. Yavor Genov plays it very well, with a sound technique and a touch which brings out the feeling of what he’s playing. The recording is good; there is some rather intrusive fret noise in places, but it’s not enough to spoil my enjoyment.

This is perhaps not essential lute music, but anyone with a love of the lute (like me) will find much to enjoy here and I can recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment