Thursday 24 September 2015

Bach - Sonatas & Partitas for Solo Violin - Zehetmair


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Technically superb but emotionally unengaging



This isn't one of my favourite recordings of these magnificent works.  The music is sublime, of course, and Zehetmair is a superb violinist, but his interpretation doesn't speak to me in quite the same way as some others.

Bach's music here is astonishing.  It is rich, varied and full of expression with that distinctive pulse running through each movement - but Bach's music scarcely needs a review from me.  Zehetmair is technically quite miraculously good in places; these are very demanding works and he shows complete mastery of even the most difficult passages.  However, his interpretation seems extremely detached and cerebral to me, with little of the human feeling which I want in this music.  He has plainly thought deeply about every movement, but I have a sense of him being in a world by himself, immersed in his thinking about the music and for me he doesn't quite allow the listener into his world with him.

The sense of detachment is exacerbated by quite a dry acoustic, with little resonance or warmth, so my overall sense having listened to the great Chaconne, for example, is of being left rather wrung out and exhausted with the effort but with little emotional reward.

I don't want to be too critical – these are personal responses, after all.  Zehetmair produces a technical tour de force here, others may well engage much better with this than I do and at this price you've very little to lose.  Personally, though, I'll be sticking to my dearly loved recordings by Rachel Podger, Viktoria Mullova and Isabelle Faust. All of them engage and move me deeply in their different ways, which I'm afraid Zehetmair's recording simply doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment