Sunday 2 April 2017

Roma Aeterna - Masses by Palestrina and Victoria - New York Polyphony


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A good disc



I like New York Polyphony's work; this is another good recording by them, although I have some personal reservations about it.

The two major works here are Palestrina's famous Missa Papae Marcelli and Victoria's Missa O Quam Gloriosam.   I think this recording of the Palestrina works very well; New York Polyphony have quite a spare, haunting sound which I find slightly reminiscent of The Hillard Ensemble, and they bring a new and welcome intimacy to the Missa Papae Marcelli.  There have been many fine recordings of it.  For example, I have loved The Tallis Scholars' classic account since I first heard it soon after it was released in 1980 for its engagement with the text and control of mood, its wonderful clarity of line and its huge, almost Wall Of Sound impact in places.  This is quite different yet shares the qualities of clarity and engagement while being much smaller and more intimate in approach.  It's a lovely take on a much-recorded work.

I donn't think the Victoria works quite so well.  For me, Victoria needs a full, rich sound for the music to really speak, and this felt slightly emotionless to me.  I am sure others may disagree, but I don't find this nearly as satisfying as the Palestrina.

Nonetheless, this is a good disc by a fine ensemble.  The recorded sound is excellent in a lovely acoustic with just the right amount of resonance for me, and I can recommend it with only slight personal reservations.

No comments:

Post a Comment