Friday 28 September 2018

Bach - Oboe Concertos and Cantatas - Löffler, Prohsaka etc.


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Not for me

I’m sorry to say that I was disappointed in this disc. I love Bach’s writing for oboe and some of his movements for oboe and soprano are just sublime, but the performances here didn’t work for me.

Xenia Löffler has a lovely tone and Anna Prohsaka’s singing is good in its way – but it’s not the right way for Bach, in my view. The oboe and orchestral playing has a slightly plodding feel about it and Prohsaka sounds as though she’s the lead in a Romantic opera, so although Bach’s music is recognisable it never comes to life and for me they miss its essential essence.

This is a personal view, of course, and others may enjoy this more than me, but even though it’s a very attractive programme, I can’t recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment