Tuesday 3 December 2019

Bach - Sei Solo (Violin Sonatas & Partitas) - Zehetmair


Rating: 4/5

Review: 
Technically brilliant but rather remote

Thomas Zehetmair is an astonishingly brilliant violinist, but I didn’t get on well with his first recording of the Sonatas and Partitas from 1983. I found them very remote and forbidding, but I was looking forward to hearing this new recording. For me it’s better and more approachable, but doesn’t really speak to me.

My reservations are almost entirely personal; Zehetmair’s technique is unimpeachable and he plainly thinks deeply about the music and gives it an interesting, thoughtful interpretation which I am sure many people will find rewarding. For me, though, he still sounds intellectually remote and the music lacks much in the way of the warmth of, say, Rachel Podger or Isabelle Faust. Even Viktoria Mullova’s interpretation (which I love) is very sinewy but retains quite a welcoming feel as though she wants you to join her in the music. Zehetmair still sounds to me as though he’s a long way away in his own intellectual world and isn’t very interested in whether anyone else is with him or not.

As I say, all of this is a very individual response; others may feel very differently about what is a virtuosic performance. Personally, though, this isn’t a favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment