Monday 12 October 2015

Mozart - Flute Quartets - Hurel, Quatuor Voce


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Excellent Mozart



I really like this disc.  I already have a very fine recording of the Flute Quartets by Philippa Davies and the Nash Ensemble which I have loved for years, but this stands very well beside it, I think.

Considering that Mozart professed to dislike the flute, he wrote some lovely music for it and these quartets, while perhaps not among his greatest chamber works, are delightful, varied and with real substance, too.  I don't play them that often, to be honest, but this disc has reminded me why I should listen to them more.

Juliette Hurel is a very fine flautist with a lovely warm tone and immense technical skill.  She really shines here, I think, bringing a lovely freshness to the quartets while preserving all their fine musicality, and she is perfectly partnered by Quatuor Voce.  I hadn't heard them before and I am very impressed.  They are technically excellent and show a lovely engagement with the music and each other, making this very good chamber playing all round.

Alpha make their usual excellent job of both sound recording and packaging, and I can recommend this disc in the warmest terms.  It's a real beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment