Tuesday 19 April 2016

Rosenmüller - Beatus vir? - Beyer/Gli Incogniti


Rating: 4/5

Review: 
Excellent performances



I wasn't familiar with Rosenmüller but I tried this disc because I like Amandine Beyer's work with Gli Ingogniti.  As expected, they are excellent, but I find Rosenmüller's work a little ordinary.

Rosenmüller was composing in the early Baroque period in the half-century or so before the birth of Bach, Handel and Scarlatti in 1685.  His music is good, well crafted stuff, but I don't find either the melodic or harmonic aspects especially inspiring.  However, he is given a significant lift here by the excellent singers and Beyer and her small ensemble.  The performances are excellent, I think, with real thought and engagement with the music and texts, so that both the sacred motets and instrumental pieces are given genuine meaning.  They lift this music well above the ordinary and make this an enjoyable disc.

With very good recorded sound and attractive presentation, this is a recommendable performance even if the music isn't the most inspiring, and I'd encourage anyone with an interest in the music of the 17th Century to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment