Thursday 2 June 2016

Sor - Late Works - Carter


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Fabulous



This is a lovely disc of wonderful music, beautifully played by William Carter.

This is music from toward the end of Sor's life in the 1830s.  It is very beautiful and extremely well crafted music which, if it had been written for piano rather than guitar would probably be far better known and celebrated.  The great Andres Segovia was a champion of Sor's music and one can see why; it is full of melodic and harmonic invention and a real pleasure to listen to.

William Carter plays superbly, to my ears.  I am no expert on this music, but I think I know good playing when I hear it and this is fabulous.  It is technically flawless and has an empathy and fluency which makes the music really glow, I think.  The sound which Carter brings from his guitar is just wonderful – superbly recorded, as always, by Linn.

The whole thing is a huge pleasure and I can recommend it very warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment