Wednesday 5 July 2017

Bach - Violin Sonatas & Partitas - Barati


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Not a great interpretation



I'm afraid I didn't think this set was all that good.  There is nothing actively wrong with it; Krystof Barati is plainly a very capable violinist whose technique is up to the challenge of these demanding works, but as an interpretation of Bach I didn't enjoy it that much.  In the mighty chaconne from the D minor Partita, for example, it seems to me that Barati's over-vigorous attack is not a substitute for intensity of feeling.  He goes in for a lot of aggressive hammering at downbeats and there is a slightly show-offy feel to some of the quicker passages which are taken very quickly indeed.  However, there should also be mystery, spirituality and tenderness here (and throughout the Sonatas and Partitas) which I simply don't find in Barati's playing.  None of this is helped for me by a rather distant over-resonant acoustic.

The set does have its moments; the Prelude to the E major Partita, for example, skips and dances very pleasingly (although, again, the acoustic doesn't do it any favours) and there are other places where Barati brings the music to life, but overall I think this lacks much of the depth, subtlety and thoughtfulness of people like Rachel Podger, Isabelle Faust, Viktoria Mullova and others. 

Some other people don't share my view and have enjoyed this set very much, but given the great recordings which I already have, personally I can't really recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment