Sunday 2 July 2017

Sor - Early Works - Carter


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Fabulous



This is a lovely disc of wonderful music, beautifully played by William Carter.

Sor's music is very beautiful and extremely well crafted; if it had been written for piano rather than guitar it would probably be far better known and celebrated.  The great Andres Segovia was a champion of Sor's music and one can see why; it is full of melodic and harmonic invention and a real pleasure to listen to.

William Carter plays superbly, to my ears.  I am no expert on this music, but I think I know good playing when I hear it and this is fabulous.  It is technically flawless and has an empathy and fluency which makes the music really glow, I think.  The sound which Carter brings from his guitar is just wonderful – superbly recorded, as always, by Linn.

The whole thing is a huge pleasure and I can recommend it very warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment