Thursday 6 July 2017

Tasto Solo - Early Modern English Music 1500-1550


Rating: 5/5

Review:
An excellent disc



I think this is excellent.  I wasn't sure what to expect because I'd not heard Tasto Solo before, but they have made a first-rate and extremely enjoyable disc here.

The title is pretty self-explanatory; this is a programme of instrumental music from England in the first half of the 16th Century.  Much of it is anonymous and most of it was unknown to me, which can be a bit of a daunting prospect because such a programme can sometimes be a rather worthy and turgid affair.  This is anything but; I found the music a delight and the playing brilliant.  Tasto Solo have that kind of virtuosity which doesn't draw attention to itself but is all about bringing the music to life, which they do delightfully.  The disc is varied, enjoyable and a real pleasure from start to finish.

If you have any interest in early music, don't hesitate.  The recorded sound is excellent and it's a first-rate disc all round which I'm delighted to have discovered.  Very warmly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment