Thursday 16 November 2017

Bach - English Suite No.2 etc. - Avdeeva


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Very good Bach playing



I was very pleasantly surprised by how good this disc is.  I confess that I approached it with a little scepticism because I have heard quite a few pianists trying to produce an "individual" interpretation of Bach with rather unhappy results, but Yulianna Avdeeva plainly "gets" Bach and this is a quality recording.

The three works here are reasonably varied but Bach's dancing pulse runs through them all.  Avdeeva catches it very well so each movement moves as it should and she has the musical intelligence to phrase and project so that of the intellectual weight and emotion comes through too. 

Yulianna Avdeeva may not have quite the dancing elegance of Angela Hewitt or Murray Perahia's wonderful grace, but I am still very impressed with this disc and I look forward to her recording more Bach.  Warmly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment