Wednesday 24 January 2018

Bach - Cello Suites (arr. for guitar) - Hoppstock


Rating: 5/5

Review:
An excellent release



I like this disc very much.  I approached it with caution because there are now so many versions of the Cello Suites of, it has to be said, varying quality, that I wasn't sure that we needed another.  However, I found Tilman Hoppstock's guitar transcriptions engaging and genuinely original in places.

Hoppstock has chosen to record the two minor-key Suites, Nos 2 & 5, which aren't the most accessible or popular.  He has also recorded Suite No.1 which is a rather obvious choice, but to his credit has elected not to start with it and has also made an interesting transcription.  All of the transcriptions hold genuine interest, I think; he has added significant harmonies throughout, but they all work very well.  There are some very interesting deviations from what I would normally expect. For example, the wonderful Sarabande of Suite No.5 isn't the introverted, emotionally intense exploration of many cello interpretations, but to me sounds like an almost frostbitten evocation of ice.  I was sceptical about the inclusion of "Air on a G String" as a "bonus" track, but I loved the tiptoeing-cat feel of the bass line. 

Hoppstock seems to "get" Bach, so that even the occasional slightly romantic-sounding flourish seems quite appropriate and for me the spirit of Bach shines through the whole thing.  He plays excellently, sailing through the virtuosic passages with no sense of strain and the sound of his guitar is lovely.  In short, this is an excellent release which rather surprised me with its quality.  Very warmly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment