Wednesday 31 October 2018

Haydn - Concerti per Esterhazy - Beyer, Gli Incogniti


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A very fine recording

I have enjoyed Amandine Beyer’s baroque recordings with Gli Incogniti for some years now. I am pleased to say that this Haydn disc is just as good.

Haydn’s Cello Concertos are terrific works and there is a very good interpretation by Marco Ceccato here of the C major Concerto. I have never got on nearly so well with his Violin Concerti – until now. Beyer brings exactly the right combination of serious musical weight and that knowing Haydn twinkle to make the two concerti here an absolute delight. She and her players really seem to understand that Haydn often said serious things in a witty way, and their baroque experience brings a lovely lightness of step while never losing the music’s genuine quality. It has been rather a revelation to me and I very much hope Beyer will record more in the future.

The recorded sound by Harmonia Mundi is excellent and the disc is very nicely presented with good notes. It’s a very fine disc all round and I can recommend it very warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment